Women in Cybersecurity at The Leahy Center: A Snapshot

Women currently only make up 24% of the cybersecurity workforce, and only 27% of the workforce in digital forensics. Working to break those barriers is hard- especially when uncertainty can arise out of fear. However, now is the time more than ever to push those boundaries.

I wanted to take the opportunity and time to talk to two very passionate women currently working at The Leahy Center to talk about their experiences working in a male dominated field. Most importantly- I wanted to highlight the amazing work they have done as well.

PROFILE: Laura Thomas-Roy

Laura is a first-year student at Champlain College majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Cybersecurity. She started out her first semester as an security operations intern, and is now working as a Security Analyst. There, she makes sure certain activities done across multiple clients aren’t malicious, and does research into any potentially suspicious activity.

She began working in cybersecurity because she wanted to make a difference in her community, especially with the immense growth of the field. During her senior year of high school, she was awarded with the Computing Award. That motivated her to go further and pursue technology related fields!

“It showed me that my peers and teachers saw and understood my potential in the Computer Science field, and it motivated me to further pursue classes,” Laura said, “I am very proud to be in the field I am in, and I am so excited to see what the future holds for me.”

I had a chance to talk to Laura, and I asked her about her experience as a women in the cybersecurity field. While it is a difficult road block to be in a male-dominated industry, it has been something she has constantly pushed herself forward through. I asked her what advice she had for any women who was considering going into cybersecurity, but had concerns about how it was a male dominated field.

“Do it! There will be some challenges and difficulties, but there are so many women here to stand by you.” She said, “It will be hard. You might feel all the time that you aren’t as good as them and never will be. However, this is far from the case. You are just as capable, if not more. Let the frustration of not being as heard or appreciated drive you into becoming the best that you can be. You will go far.”

PROFILE: Molly Shapiro

Molly is a Computer Networking and Cybersecurity major, minoring in Computer and Digital Forensics, set to graduate in 2025. She’s been working at The Leahy Center for three years. She’s worked as a Security Technician, a Security Analyst, as the Security Intern and Technicians Supervisor. Currently, she is working as a DevOps Researcher.

She is also currently the president of Champlain’s Women in Cybersecurity chapter. They provide amazing opportunities for women in the field. She previously worked with the ITS division to have the school sponsor their annual conference. This year, the chapter is sending twenty students to Nashville to participate in the event.

Her accomplishments don’t end there. She is currently working on a medical device cybersecurity project with the Internet of Things team.

“I’m super proud of that,” Molly said, “As someone who can’t live without a medical device, I had so many questions about what the cybersecurity of my device looked like, and no answers. Starting that project was so important to me because people deserve to understand exactly what they’re using when it comes to medical devices, and I want to be a part of making that happen.”

I had the chance to interview Molly. There, I asked the same question: what would you say to a woman interested in pursuing cybersecurity, yet scared.

“I would tell them to face that fear head-on.” Molly said, “Yes, it’s reality sometimes, but it’s also true that there are many amazing people in the field and so many fascinating things to learn, and that is ALWAYS worth facing that fear. The ability to learn and grow and help people is so much more important and feels so much better than giving into that fear and letting what you want slip away from you. Don’t be afraid to take up space! You deserve to be here, you deserve to be heard, and you deserve to be respected. Don’t let anyone (even yourself) forget that.”

Stay up to date with our XInstagramFacebook, and LinkedIn so you always know what we’re up to!

Written By:
Cierra Rossi ’27, Professional Writing

More Student Experience
Champlain College as Finalists in NECCDC
CyberRange Team: Creating The Perfect Sandbox Environment
The Internet of Things Team: An Inside Look