January Student in the Spotlight

The Student in the Spotlight for January was senior Kyle Tellers! Read his interview below.

TELLERS_KYLEIntro about you: I am a junior Computer and Digital Forensics Major specializing in Information Assurance. I live in Incirlik AFB, Turkey. I picked Champlain College because of their excellent Digital Forensics program.

Projects you have worked on at LCDI and/or stuff you do at LCDI:  I have worked on Windows 8 Artifacts and Rooting Google Glass. I am currently project lead for Volume Shadow Copies and Shellbags. I also perform Data Recovery, and shadow Forensics Investigations.

What would be your dream job after graduation? Working for a private consulting firm.

What’s your favorite part about working at the Leahy Center? The exposure to many different aspects of digital forensics, and the experience with industry tools.

Here’s the big debate:  Mac or Windows? Windows.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of class and work? Relax and watch tv.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced in your major? File system structure, it was difficult to grasp at first.

What’s your favorite thing about your major? Digital forensics is an constantly changing challenge.

Where would you like to intern in the future? A private consulting firm.

Is the forensic technology as advanced as television shows such as “CSI” portray:  Yes and no, much of the digital forensics done on these shows is possible, but the process happens entirely too fast.

How did you get started in digital forensics? When looking into Champlain before applying I saw Computer and Digital Forensics as an offered program and decided to look into it further.

Can deleted files be recovered? Yes, if the files were not overwritten after being deleted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOh9cOjK3g

More Student Experience
Women in Cybersecurity at The Leahy Center: A Snapshot
Champlain College as Finalists in NECCDC
CyberRange Team: Creating The Perfect Sandbox Environment